Embrace the Pause: Self Reflection and Goal Setting, with Erin Bradley
In this episode, I share tips and strategies for taking regular time out for self reflection and goal setting, and I explain why it’s so important to do. Hear insights about:
- Why it is important to regularly take a pause and give yourself space to reflect on where you are, and what is and isn’t in alignment with your goals
- Why our brains often look for distractions to occupy us because “the absence of stimuli causes discomfort”
- Why we should “embrace the pause” and take time out for self reflection and goal setting instead of allowing our mind to look for distractions
- Why Erin chose to go 100% commission and set her own time and schedule, and why at first she struggled with forcing herself to be “always on”
- How Erin found clarity to focus less on who she wanted to become and focus more on “unbecoming” and fighting the impulse to multitask
- Why learning to be fully present in each and every moment is a process that takes time and intentionality
- Why “busyness” doesn’t necessarily equal “more business”, and why taking the time to pause for self reflection and goal setting of less work-related goals is vital
- Why you should ask yourself if your current reality is aligned with your long-term goals, and why you are the only one who can take control of your life and mindset
- Why the actions we take reflect our “real priorities” rather than the things we tell ourselves are our priorities
- What steps you can take to learn to embrace the pause, refresh yourself, and unlock your true creativity
Embrace the Pause: Self Reflection and Goal Setting
When you find yourself with some time to kill, what is the first thing you do? If you’re like many of us, you reach for your phone or check your emails and messages. It’s a habit that almost all of us are familiar with. But why do we do it?
I recently listened to a 10-minute guided meditation on the Calm app, and the host, Tamara Levitt, said something really profound that stuck with me. “The absence of stimuli causes discomfort.”
Let’s unpack that. We’ve all trained our brains to constantly seek stimulation. We fall into the habit of obsessively checking our emails, scrolling social media… anything to fill the gaps in our day. And yet, it’s those very gaps, the quiet moments, where we can recharge, reflect, and tap into our true creative potential. Instead of always filling our time with mindless stimulation, I suggest instead that you “embrace the pause”. Turn those moments into something fulfilling, truly productive, and meaningful.
Self Reflection and Goal Setting
The next time you find yourself trying to fill time with stimuli, use that moment instead to reflect on where you are in life right now. Be in this moment. Are you where you want to be right now? Are all the parts of your life in alignment with your goals? Are those goals still applicable to you or do you need to update them? Are the actions you are taking a reflection of the things you prioritize?
Taking the time for self reflection and goal setting with your real priorities in mind is such a powerful thing! You can’t get to where you want to be if you don’t know where you are right now, and especially in this chaotic and unprecedented real estate market, you need to take the time to recharge and reflect.
The Power of Unbecoming
We spend a lot of time focusing on where we want to be in the future, but we seldom stop to consider where we are right at this moment. But a big part of growth isn’t just moving forward toward something, it’s also about “unbecoming”…recognizing the habits and mindset you have now that isn’t helping you move forward.
Imagine you’re in a boat, and off on the horizon is everything you want from your life. You’re paddling and paddling, trying to get closer to your destination. But there are parts of you that may not be aligned and may be paddling in a completely different direction, so instead of making real progress, you’re just floating around in a circle. “Unbecoming” is about getting those parts working together toward the same goal (or pushing them overboard!) And when you take the time for self reflection and goal setting in those quiet moments, you can start making a real difference in how quickly you can get to where you want to be.
I hope you enjoy this week’s Pursuing Freedom episode, and that the information I share is helpful in allowing you to give yourself permission to embrace the pause!
About Erin Bradley
Erin Bradley is a speaker and business coach, bestselling author, and host of the real estate podcast Pursuing Freedom. As a mortgage lender, Erin learned the hard way just how hard entrepreneurship and success in sales can be. From flat broke to 6-figures, and then to burnout, Erin and her team have been through it all! Erin operates under the mindset that you never give up, and you never settle, in life or in business. Anything is possible when you have the right mindset, great systems, and an amazing team. Erin is passionate about helping others design their ideal life, then create a business that is a vehicle to support that lifestyle, rather than rob you of it. And she’s on a mission to help you believe in, and achieve your biggest dreams!