Real Estate Agent Work-Life Balance, with Marlene Douglas
Marlene Douglas, real estate agent, entrepreneur, and mom of six, shares strategies for finding real estate agent work-life balance. Her insights about:
- How Marlene started in her mom’s real estate business at the age of 11, and how her mom taught Marlene the importance of real estate agent work-life balance
- How Marlene’s plan was to become a nurse, and how getting her real estate license to continue to work for her mother sent her on a completely unexpected path
- How today Marlene specializes in helping real estate agents maximize their potential and receive proper training to master the art of real estate and become top producers
- How Marlene’s passion and drive have been powerful motivators as she worked to find real estate agent work-life balance within her role as an entrepreneur and mother of six
- What lifestyle adjustments and work compromises Marlene made to find a balance between being an active and engaged mom and being a business leader
- Why not giving herself a “plan B” was an important push to achieve the success that Marlene has achieved, and why real estate was the perfect career to support her family
- Why time with your loved ones is more important than a little extra money, and how surrounding herself with the right people allowed Marlene that precious time
Real Estate Agent Work-Life Balance
Marlene Douglas is a serious super-woman. She’s a mom to six (SIX!) kids, and she owns a successful brokerage (Douglas Lane Real Estate Group) as well as a thriving real estate school (Georgia Academy of Real Estate) in Augusta, Georgia. She has also spoken on a national level for Zillow, training other brokers on how to run successful lead conversion teams. In this episode of Pursuing Freedom, Marlene discusses how she learned the importance of real estate agent work-life balance at a very young age by watching and working closely with her mom in her real estate business. Marlene also shares the structure, systems, and strategies she has integrated into her life to find greater balance and spend more time with her amazing family!
Growing Up With Real Estate In Her Blood
Marlene has been actively learning the real estate industry since she was in elementary school. Her mother was a successful agent in spite of being 97% deaf thanks to being able to read lips, but there are no lips to be read in a phone call. So, at the young age of eleven, Marlene began fielding all of her mom’s phone calls and learning the industry through experience. When she became an adult, Marlene decided to get her license so she could continue working with her mom. Talk about on-the-job training! Getting started in real estate so young instilled key lessons in Marlene about the importance of hard work, self-confidence, and the struggle for real estate agent work-life balance.
Leading Her Own Real Estate Family
Somehow, while simultaneously growing her own real estate business and starting a real estate school to help others become stronger agents, Marlene also managed to have six kids in ten years… while being the primary earner for her family and being active in her kids’ lives. She was able to achieve so much simultaneously due to developing strong time management skills and prioritizing the things that truly mattered in her life while surrounding herself with the right people who could keep things moving even when Marlene was needed elsewhere.
Finding real estate agent work-life balance can be a real challenge, especially when you have as many spinning plates in the air as Marlene Douglas. But, by putting the right systems into place and building the right team, you don’t have to sacrifice precious time with your loved ones in favor of money. The key is to focus on what matters and create efficient processes that can help you balance your time. Marlene Douglas gives us an extraordinary and inspiring example of how you can achieve your career goals without having to sacrifice the things that truly matter!
About Marlene Douglas
Few people can say they have been in the real estate business since elementary school. Marlene’s uncommon situation placed her in the thick of the industry at a young age. As the youngest daughter of a husband and wife home-builder team, she “supervised” construction projects on summer breaks from childhood. Traveling with her parents and building apartment complexes were her summer vacations as a child. Her mother became a real estate agent when Marlene was 11 years old. Her mother also was deaf. With a 97% hearing loss, she could read lips and speak, but could not hear on the phone at all. Marlene became her mother’s ears for all business calls and conversations. She doesn’t remember learning real estate, but she has a unique gift of teaching it to others. Marlene now owns a successful brokerage (Douglas Lane Real Estate Group) as well as a thriving real estate school (Georgia Academy of Real Estate) in Augusta, Georgia. She has also spoken on a national level for Zillow, training other brokers on how to run successful lead conversion teams. She was also recently invited by a national real estate school to record live instructional videos to accompany an online pre-license course. Her lifetime of learning is passed along to any who attend her educational sessions.
How to Connect With Marlene Douglas
- Website: www.douglaslanegroup.com
- Website: www.georgiaacademyofrealestate.com
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/dlreg/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/douglaslanerealestate
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/marleneandcompany
- Twitter: @Teachmemarlene